During our time in Chiang Mai, Thailand we spent time on a cookery school out in the countryside. One of the first things we were taught to make was this sweet and pungent thai beef salad. Stay tuned for our future post about our time at the cookery school.
RECIPE: Beef Salad Thai Style – Pla Naue
20g shallot, finely sliced
1 tbsp chopped lemon grass
1 tsp chopped spring onion
6 mint leaves
¼ cup chicken stock
2 – 3 chopped hot chillies
½ – 1 tbsp fish sauce
1 – 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
½ tsp sugar
- Dry fry beef until done, slice beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine dressing, stir until mixed well
- Transfer the beef into a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients.
- Spoon the spicy dressing over the beef and other ingredients and gently toss.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Recipe from Smart Cook Thai Cookery School.
We realised some time ago, that food is an integral part of travel. For us especially, the cuisine of a country is one of the best ways of getting acquainted with both its people and heritage. Led by sights and smells, The Roving Plate is a visual feast of the various delectable (and sometimes not so) encounters we have had throughout our travels.